Terms and conditions of participation
These Terms and Conditions of Participation govern the participation in the photo competition organised by Leica Camera AG for the awarding of the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award" and the "Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award", which are going to be awarded to professional photographers by an international jury. The photography competition will be won by the photographers whose keen sense of observation best demonstrate the relationship between man and the environment, with a series of minimum 10 and maximum 12 photographs. Photographers are asked to submit a self-contained series of images that document the interaction between man and the environment with acute vision and contemporary visual style – creatively and innovatively.
Just as in previous years, the "Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award" is addressed to all future professional photographers who are not older than 25 years.
As last year, www.i-shot-it.com will award a third category in partnership with Leica Camera AG, namely the "Leica Oskar Barnack Public Award" (optional participation). The award winner will be determined via online-voting on the platform for photo competitions according to the terms and conditions of www.i-shot-it.com. The winner in this category will receive a cash prize of EUR 2,500 from www.i-shot-it.com.
Photographers can apply for participation by uploading the photo series here with acknowledgement of these Terms and Conditions of Participation. All digital photos prepared for upload must have an image height of 1200 pixels. The image width is variable. Furthermore, the photos need to be stored at 72 dpi as a jpg-file in the RGB colour space for view in the web and must not exceed a file volume of maximum 3 MB each. It is recommended storing the photos with the WEB optimization function, as for example possible in Adobe Photoshop. You will find precise instructions in this pdf document
The competition is not limited to photos taken with Leica cameras. The camera system used is not a criterion.
Only one submission per participant is permitted.
The winner of the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award" will receive a cash prize of EUR 25,000 as well as a Leica M camera and lens worth approx. EUR 10,000. The winner of the "Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award" will receive a cash prize of EUR 10,000 and also a Leica M camera and lens worth approx. EUR 10,000. The other ten finalists will each receive a cash prize of EUR 2,500.
The winners and finalists of the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award / Newcomer Award" will be informed by telephone or email. The prizes will be awarded at the official awards ceremony.
4. Application period
The online application 2016 takes place during the period from 01 March until 15 April 2016.
5. Warranties of the participants
With my application I declare that
ONLY for applicants for the category "Leica Oskar Barnack Award":
- I am a professional photographer,
ONLY for applicants for the category "Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award":
- I am a prospective professional photographer and not older than 25 years,
FOR ALL applicants:
- I have personally taken the submitted photos,
- I have completed the submitted photo series in 2015/2016,
- I only make one submission for this year's "Leica Oskar Barnack Award / Newcomer Award ",
- I am the sole copyright holder of the submitted photos or have been authorised by the copyright holder,
- the submitted photos have not been manipulated or altered other than standard image optimizations such as colour intensity or cropping,
- no third party can assert any rights or objections in connection with a publication,
- if the photos are submitted on behalf or in representation of a photographer, I have been authorized by the photographer to accept the Terms and Conditions of Participation in his/her name. At the same time I declare that the photographer accepts the Terms and Conditions,
ONLY for applicants reaching the final round of the twelve best submissions:
- I irrevocably agree that in connection with the competition for the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award" and "Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award" and/or the exhibitions planned afterwards, including marketing and press material related thereto, either my (i) first and last name, or (ii) pseudonym (artist’s name) may be stated,
- by request of Leica Camera AG, I will submit the photos in high resolution for the purpose of ensuring best reproduction quality (e.g. prints for the exhibitions) and highest image quality for the platform on which they are being featured (e.g. competition website).
6. Granting of rights
(1) In the event that I reach the final round of the twelve best submissions, and in the event that I am awarded the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award/Newcomer Award", I hereby authorize Leica Camera AG and third parties appointed by Leica Camera AG, unlimited as to time, territory and content, irrevocably and also royalty-free,
- to use my photos for press, marketing and communication purposes in connection with the competition for the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award/Newcomer Award" and the exhibitions planned afterwards,
- to use, display or project my photos in the context of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award/Newcomer Award (e.g. in Leica Galleries, Leica Stores, at photo festivals, etc.) and the exhibitions planned afterwards,
- to create the projection and to subsequently show the projection in the context of the "Leica Oskar Barnack Award/Newcomer Award" and the exhibitions planned afterwards worldwide, either through Leica Camera AG or through third parties (e.g. in Leica Galleries, Leica Stores, at photo festivals, etc.), also on the Internet,
- to publish my photos in a magazine(e.g. in the annual LFI "Leica Oskar Barnack Award Special Edition"), specifying the competition,
- to produce my photos (in accordance with Leica Camera AG I may produce them myself) and curate them for an exhibition,
- to display my photos, or to have them displayed, within the scope of exhibitions, specifying the competition,
Provided that, in each case, credit is given by stating either (i) my first and last name, or, if upon my explicit request, (ii) my pseudonym (artist’s name).
(2) Further, provided that I reach the final round of the twelve best submissions, I agree that the produced set of images (e.g. prints, edited photos) will pass to the ownership of Leica Camera AG and thereby become part of the historical Leica archive dedicated to the culture of photography. Leica Camera AG is not allowed to sell these photos.
(3) If and to the extent I have agreed to participate in the "Leica Oskar Barnack Public Award" Leica Camera AG is herewith authorized to forward my submitted photos (the digital picture files) to www.i-shot-it.com.
7. Data Protection
(1) Leica Camera AG collects, processes, uses and stores the data stated by the participants upon submission of the photo series for the duration of the competition, for implementing and managing the competition. Neither Leica Camera AG nor any third party will use such data for any further purposes without express consent of the participants.
(2) The participants are free to delete their data until submission phase closes April 15th, 2016, by withdrawal on email@example.com, thus withdrawing from the participation in the competition.
(3) All personal data of the participants are processed and used by Leica Camera AG in compliance with the statutory regulations. Further information is provided in the Data Protection Regulations.
(4) If and to the extent I have agreed to participate in the "Leica Oskar Barnack Public Award" Leica Camera AG is entitled to forward my application details including my name and address for the purpose of processing the "Leica Oskar Barnack Public Award" competition to www.i-shot-it.com.
(1) Any recourse to courts of law is excluded.
(2) The laws of the Federal Republic of Germany are exclusively applicable.
(3) Should individual provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Participation be or become invalid, the validity of the remaining Conditions of Participation shall remain unaffected thereby.
(4) Leica Camera AG may at any time change these Terms and Conditions of Participation without separate notification.